Moving food is not enough for SecondBite. We need to address the causes of food insecurity to make a lasting difference. And that’s why we’ve created FoodMate by SecondBite.
FoodMate by SecondBite is a nutrition program designed to develop the food independence of individuals who are at risk of, or who are experiencing food insecurity. FoodMate by SecondBite is an 8-week program which provides weekly hampers of fresh nutritious food, information on budgeting, food safety, food storage, healthy eating, local food access and shopping tips and provides vital links to local community support. Upon completion of this nutrition program, delivered as an integrated case management model, FoodMate participants will have the skills required to source, prepare and enjoy fresh food independently for years to come.
To achieve food independence, FoodMate by SecondBite aims to:
1. Increase Food Access - SecondBite delivers fresh rescued food hampers of fruit, vegetables, bread, milk and eggs to the host agency. Case-workers take these hampers, complete with recipe ideas and nutrition education activity sheets, directly to the homes of their clients who are participating in FoodMate.
2. Facilitate Nutrition Education – Case workers integrate SecondBite’s nutrition education and skill-development activities into the 8-week program. There’s a new theme each week – food budgeting, healthy cooking, shopping, label reading, food safety and food storage.
3. Promote Community Inclusion - Post-program pathways are developed throughout the 8-week program by making vital connections to local food and community programs to ensure ongoing support and capacity building beyond FoodMate.
FoodMate participants are encouraged to prepare their own meals throughout the 8 week program using ingredients supplied by the weekly hampers.
Food preparation can involve:
• Cooking in the participants’ home (one-on-one) with the case-worker and participant, or
• Cooking at a communal cooking space (one-on-one or with other FoodMate participants)
Every week FoodMate participants will collect or receive their food hamper, interact with the host agency and be linked in with community kitchens, support programs and other local food-security initiatives.
How can I get involved?
1. If you’re an agency with case management services…
You may be eligible to host FoodMate with your clients. There are 3 steps to making this happen:
1. Register your interest by contacting email@example.com
2. Await confirmation of your eligibility from SecondBite
3. Lock in times for FoodMate Host Agency start-up training (3 x 2 hour modules)
Once the start-up training is complete, your agency will have all the resources, knowledge and education materials to run the 8-week FoodMate program with your case-managed clients on a regular basis. All we ask is that you submit your evaluation results to help us constantly improve the program and source funding for its expansion!
2. If you’re an individual experiencing or at risk of food insecurity…
Please call us at SecondBite to find out where your nearest FoodMate Host Agency is. By working with your local agency directly, they can point you in the right direction to achieving complete food independence.
3. If you’d like to donate time or money to the program…
Please call us and ask to speak to the Research and Development Co-ordinator. We’d LOVE to hear from you!
Want more info?
SecondBite: 1800 263 283